Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Review of injury lawyer uk::How to determine how much an auto accident settlement is ...







Review of injury lawyer uk::How to determine how much an auto accident settlement is ...








I               have               lived               in               the               United               Kingdom               for               a               good               five               years               now.

When               I               first               moved,               I               learned               a               new               word               every               day.

I               really               wish               now               that               I'd               written               them               all               down               because               there               are               so               many               that               when               I               try               to               think               of               just               five,               I               can't               think               of               any.

However,               with               the               help               of               my               darling               English               husband,               we               have               come               up               with               six               of               the               biggest               language               differences               that               can               trip               up               American               visitors               to               the               UK               and               UK               visitors               going               to               America.

UK               -               Plaster/Chemist               v.

USA               -               Band-Aid/Pharmacy               -               This               one               has               been               a               source               of               hilarity               for               many               years.

The               first               time               I               moved               here,               I               needed               a               band-aid               pretty               bad.

I               asked               for               one               and               was               told               that               I               would               have               to               "Pop               'round               the               Chemist               for               a               plaster."               I               argued               for               twenty               minutes               that               I               didn't               have               a               broken               limb,               that               I               just               needed               a               Band-Aid!

I               pictured               a               man               in               a               white               coat               mixing               up               plaster               of               Paris               to               put               over               my               small               injury.

No,               that               wasn't               the               case.

The               word               for               "Drug               Store"               or               "Pharmacy"               is               "Chemist".

A               "Pharmacist"               is               known               as               a               "Chemist".

As               for               "plaster",               that               is               what               we               call               a               "Band-Aid"               and               they               are               already               made               like               ours,               no               mixing               involved.

Just               look               for               "Elastoplast"               or               some               similar               brand.

The               boxes               look               just               like               boxes               of               bandages               in               the               States.

Just               make               sure               you               ask               for               "plasters"               so               they               know               what               you               are               talking               about.

There               is               a               bit               of               a               difference               at               the               small               Chemist               shops               here,               you               do               have               to               ask               for               most               medicinal               related               items               such               as               plasters               but               they               are               very               helpful               at               finding               exactly               what               you               need.
               UK               -               Off               license               v.

USA               -               Liquor               Store               -               An               "off               license"               is               a               liquor               store,               although               in               England,               they               usually               sell               a               bit               more               than               just               beer,               wine               and               spirits.

You               can               "pop               'round               to               the               'offie'"               (slang               for               off               license)               and               get               some               "choccie"               or               chocolate,               crisps               (see               below)               or               cigarettes.
               UK               -               Solicitor               v.

USA               -               Lawyer               -               This               one               trips               me               up               quite               a               bit.

When               you               need               a               solicitor               in               the               UK,               you               are               in               big               trouble.

And               you               can't               have               a               "no               soliciting"               sign               on               your               door               because               that               would               only               keep               the               lawyers               away,               not               the               sales               people.

Instead,               your               sign               has               to               say               "no               door-to-door               sales"               or               something               similar.
               UK               -               Chips/crisps               v.

USA               French               Fries/Chips               -               Okay,               be               patient               with               this               one,               it               gets               confusing.

Chips               in               the               UK               are               in               fact               French               fries               to               most               of               us               in               the               States.

They               are               different               than               our               French               fries,               more               like               the               thick               cut               steak               fries.

However,               the               skinny               chips               are               still               called               "French               Fries"               just               to               confuse               us,               I               think.

At               McDonald's               and               Burger               King,               you               still               also               ask               for               "Fries"               but               if               you               say               "Chips"               they               know               what               you               mean.
               Crisps               in               the               UK               are               what               we               Yanks               call               "potato               chips"               or               just               "chips".

It               is               very               easy               to               get               these               confused               because               when               we               ask               for               "chips"               with               our               sandwich,               you               will               probably               get               French               Fries!

So               be               sure               to               get               it               clear               before               your               trip               to               the               UK               or               vice               versa               that               Crisps               are               the               thin               and               crispy               potato               slices               and               Chips               are               French               Fries.
               UK               -               Bum               Bag               v.

USA               -               Fanny               Pack               -               I               cannot               stress               the               sensitivity               of               this               one.

Please               just               don't               say               the               word               Fanny               while               you               are               in               the               UK.

It               is               a               very               vulgar               word               here.

It               means               a               certain               part               of               female               anatomy.

I'm               even               cringing               just               typing               it               now               and               I               used               to               laugh               when               I               said               it               to               my               husband               and               watched               him               turn               red.

He               nearly               fainted               when               we               visited               a               Target               in               America               and               saw               "Fanny               Packs,               $6.99"               on               a               sign.

Also,               please               refrain               from               using               phrases               to               your               children               like               "I'm               going               to               spank               your               fanny               if               you               don't               behave!"               You               will               give               UK               grannies               a               heart               attack!!
               Bum               means               your               backside               in               the               UK               so               that's               why               they               call               them               "bum               bags"               here.

However,               phrases               like               "that               really               bummed               me               out"               and               "look               at               that               dirty               old               bum               on               the               street"               cause               English               people               to               look               at               you               very               strangely.

"Bum"               is               a               safe               word               here               though               that               even               children               can               use,               so               you               can               say               "I'm               going               to               spank               your               bum               bum               if               you               don't               behave!"
               UK               -               Toilet               v.

USA               -               Restroom               -               If               you               are               out               and               about               in               England               and               you               find               yourself               needing               to               use               their               "facilities"               try               asking               "Where               is               the               toilet,               please?"               because               if               you               ask               for               the               "Restroom"               or               the               "Bathroom"               you               will               get               funny               looks.

They               have               no               clue               what               a               "Restroom"               is               at               all               and               the               "Bathroom"               is               the               room               with               the               bathtub               in               it,               so               they               will               think               that               you               want               to               take               a               bath!

It               feels               rude               for               an               American               to               ask               for               the               "toilet"               but               believe               me,               you               will               at               least               get               what               you               want.

You               can               also               call               it               "the               loo"               or               "the               Ladie's"               or               "the               Gent's".

If               you               are               a               Limey               in               the               States,               just               asking               for               the               "Restroom"               will               get               you               the               "Toilet"               but               you               can               also               ask               for               the               "Lady's               room"               or               the               "Men's               room".

Sometimes,               if               you               are               an               especially               delicate               lady               in               the               States,               we               say               "I               need               to               go               powder               my               nose".
               This               is               just               a               small               sampling               of               some               of               the               different               words               used.

Try               to               find               out               as               many               as               you               can               before               your               trip.

Even               though               English               is               the               same               language               spoken               in               both               countries,               there               are               still               a               great               number               of               differences               in               words               in               both               countries.

Bon               Voyage               on               your               Holiday/Vacation!






Image of injury lawyer uk






injury lawyer uk
injury lawyer uk


injury lawyer uk Image 1


injury lawyer uk
injury lawyer uk


injury lawyer uk Image 2


injury lawyer uk
injury lawyer uk


injury lawyer uk Image 3


injury lawyer uk
injury lawyer uk


injury lawyer uk Image 4


injury lawyer uk
injury lawyer uk


injury lawyer uk Image 5


  • Related blog with injury lawyer uk








  • Related Video with injury lawyer uk







    injury lawyer uk Video 1








    injury lawyer uk Video 2








    injury lawyer uk Video 3




    injury lawyer uk





























    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home